After describing my latest work on Rhythmbox yesterday, here's what I did on libgpod in the last month. libgpod is a cross-platform library used by many different projects (amarok, gtkpod, rhythmbox, songbird to name a few) to access and modify your ipod content.
Extensive SysInfoExtended parsing
As has been known for a while now, the iPod can be queried about its capabilities using SCSI commands and returns XML data describing the iPod (serial number, firmware version, ...) and what it can do can do (podcast support, video formats supported, image formats that it knows how to display, ...). When we released libgpod 0.6, we introduced a hal callout to send the appropriate SCSI query to the iPod and to dump the returned XML data to a file that we named SysInfoExtended. Normal users aren't guaranteed to be able to send raw SCSI commands to a device, hence the use of a hal callout and the dumping of the information to a regular file. However, in libgpod 0.6, we only had a very basic parser for that file which only knew how to read the only SysInfoExtended field we needed. Most of the information about the iPod capabilities was hard-coded into per-ipod model tables, and libgpod had to be told the iPod model before being able to (for example) being able to write artwork to an iPod.
For the next release of libgpod, I decided that we had to be able to use the information from SysInfoExtended to its fullest. I started by writing a generic plist (which is the XML subset SysInfoExtended is in) to GValue parser using libxml instead of GMarkup. Then, I extracted the data I was interested in from the GValue collection the parser gave me to a nice C struct. To make the addition of new fields easy, most of the work is driven from a table indicating the field name in the plist file, the type we want to assign that field data and the offset we want to put that data in the resulting struct. Modifying that table and the struct definition are the only things that need to be done if we want to read additionnal fields from SysInfoExtended.
With that being done , I had everything I needed to have libgpod use the information provided by the device to write artwork to the iPod instead of relying on hard-coded tables. Some refactoring was needed to make it possible to use the artwork data from the iPod (there were some assumptions here and there that the formats supported by the iPod were known at compile time) but now that it's done, the code feels much more natural and maintainable than before.
Getting the iPod model from SysInfoExtended
With the aforementioned work, writing artwork to the iPod has been made much more flexible, but libgpod was still unable to automatically guess the iPod model/color/... from the device without asking the user. This is due to the fact that to do that, libgpod relied on the iPod "ModelNum" which used to be present in a file on the iPod filesystem but for quite some time now, the only way to get that model number is to read it on the iPod box, which is not really easy to do from software :)
But for all recent iPod models, there's another way to guess the iPod model, this is by parsing the iPod serial number. And this serial number is precisely one of the things that we can read from SysInfoExtended! So all we had to do to be able to automatically detect the model/color/.. of a plugged iPod was to properly parse the iPod serial number and to infer the iPod physical features from that serial number, just as what podsleuth does with that table.
Given that libgpod had already installed a hal callout, and after all the work done to parse the SysInfoExtended data, I realized that libgpod had gathered all the pieces to build a podsleuth clone, so I decided to try to write one just for fun and to test the new API added to libgpod in real-world situations. This led to the work which can be found in the podsleuth branch of my libgpod git repository.
Even though I haven't tested it against banshee, I compared the properties exported by podsleuth and by this experimental stuff, so this code can probably be used as a drop-in replacement to podsleuth. Writing it also made me realize that podsleuth doesn't export enough information about artwork formats compared to what libgpod needs. I'm also not a big fan of how podsleuth exposes the artwork formats: it parses the XML to get the artwork data to immediatly serialize it again to a string. It's then up to the app using podsleuth to parse that string (again) to get the artwork formats supported by the ipod.
Anyway, since I now have hacked this nice tool, it's now up to me to experiment a bit with all of that and to make suggestions as to how things could be improved :) By the way, I already used that code to see how iPod integration with the desktop could be improved: it sets the volume.label HAL property to the name of the iPod as extracted from the iPod database which results in a nicer name for the iPod on your Nautilus desktop.
lundi 28 juillet 2008
Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)
Great news :)
Enregistrer un commentaire